3 Helpful Sites for Finding Books

I love books!  I mean I really love books!  One of my biggest missions is to get students to enjoy reading as much as I do.  A huge part of that mission is finding books of high interest that are at a "just right" reading level.  Today I'd like to share three sites that have helped me do just that.

These sites will help your students find the perfect "just right" books.


I share all of these sites with my students and parents.   They are perfect to link up if you have a classroom webpage.  


Kidsreads logoKidsreads - Kidsreads is a great site that includes book reviews designed to hook students into reading.  You can search reviews by title, genre, author or date. One of my favorite parts of this site is the "Cool New Books" section.  Not only is this site great for finding books, but it is also a great way to model book reviews for when students write their own.  The list of recommended series (by age) is also fantastic!

What Should I Read Next? - This site is perfect when you have a reluctant reader who finally finds book that he/she loves.  All you need to do is type in the title, and the site will produce a list of books with similar themes and at a similar level.  I love using this site when I am ordering new books for my classroom library.  Every year, there seems to be certain books that students gravitate toward.  This site is great for finding similar books.


 Guysread - This is an awesome site designed to encourage young males to love reading.  You can find a wide variety of book categories that appeal to guys, including "Creepy and Weird", "Tales and Scales" and "The Wild West".  When you click on a book title, you get a short review and a chance to rate the book for yourself.  This feature encourages students to come back, contribute to the site, and find more great books.  Seeing high ratings from peers can be a strong motivator for our students.

These sites are all easy and fun to use.  Enjoy!

Thank you and enjoy the rest of the week!


Mary

No comments

Back to Top